Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Belgian Luxury Wrinkle

I would make the argument that anyone who knows me, knows that I have a thing for Belgian linen anything, particularly all things bedding.  As far as I am concerned, if it is not linen it's not worth sleeping on.  My obsession does not limit itself to just my bedding, but  my kids' bedding, my upholstery fabric, my drapery fabric, my table linens, well you get the picture...

Orchid's Libeco linen bedding in white and pink

I do agree, it may be an acquired taste for many so let me point out some things about this noble material. First, it is the only material that magically keeps you cool when hot and warm when cold outside. Second, it has the largest absorbency capabilty of any fiber (try drying a glass with it and you will never use a plain cotton kitchen towel again) and additionally it has the most beautiful texture in my opinion of any material.

Now,  to the wrinkles that everyone is so concerned about:  Personally, I do not iron my linen sheets as I believe the wrinkles showcase the texture of the material.  I do hang my sheets up on a hanger to dry, which eliminates almost all wrinkles and just leaves the beautiful texture of the linen.  There is a big myth out there that linen sheets are laborious to care for and for those out there who insist on wrinkle free sheets, owning linen sheets could be an undertaking of vast proportions.  However, if you are like me and choose to live with the beauty of texture, I promise, once you sleep in linen you cannot go back.  I would like to quote Mr. Karl Lagerfeld, whom I would consider a connisseur of life's finer things, when asked in an interview, what his idea of luxury is.  He said:  "Freshly ironed linen sheets every day."  Now there is a man after my own heart, although I think un-ironed is also luxurious.

What, you might ask inspired my thoughts on linen, today?  Well, some of the great linen comes from Belgium and my preferred company of choice is Libeco.  My dear blogger friend Greet Lefevre, mentioned them in her post about exhibitors showing at the upcoming "Maison et Objet" gift show in Paris. Her blog www.belgianpearls.blogspot.com is a fabulous account of all great Belgian design (also, I want to thank her for mentioning me in her post this morning).  In any event, you know my heart will be racing when I visit the Libeco linen stand next week at the "Maison et Object".  I leave you with a picture and link of Libeco's online catalog (www.pagegangster.com/p/kWdK5/).





Here's to indulging with the luxury wrinkle and here's to living the good life....

No comments:

Post a Comment