Sunday, January 10, 2010

The ultimate gift!!!!!



Every year on the night before my daughter Orchid's birthday, I reflect back on the night that changed my life. Let's start with the actual birthing aspect.  Whoever could really fully prepare you for the torture and pain a human being will experience as they attempt to give birth to a baby.  I don't care if you had an epidural (i had about ten), not had had an epidural, pushed naturally, had a c-section or the worst of both worlds, the emergency c-section (my scenario of course).  The nature of childbirth ensures, that you are bonded forever to the child that is about to be born. In retrospect, i do feel that it was a small price to pay for the bundle of joy that I received that night after 8 hours of pushing and finally delivering Orchid via c-section.
The day Orchid was born, also changed my emotional make-up as a person.  Prior to her, my description would read something like this:  Natasha Esch, interior designer, wife of college sweetheart Matt, daughter to Gaby and Dieter Esch, in that order. My priorities in life up until then were limited to achieving creative nirvana through my design business, trying to be a good daughter to my parents, and a good wife to my husband.  All these things are still true today and I try to achieve all of them, however, my ultimate priority has changed the day I became a proud mother.  These days, my challenge in life is do justice to the incredible gift that I have received, by being the very best mother I can be.  Being a mother is a humbling range of experiences and puts you in touch with levels of emotions, that you did not think you were capable of.  Joy, laughter, frustration, fear, anger, love, patience, are just some of the attributes that I think need to be mentioned here.
Most of all, becoming a mother has made me appreciate my own mother on a whole deeper level.  I now recognize that it is because of my mother's guidance, deep love and life lessons, that I am able to manage life's challenges and lead a fulfilled life filled with joy and happiness.

My mom, Orchid and I in beautiful Anguilla

Happy 5th Birthday Orchid and here's to living the good life....

1 comment:

  1. Oh Natasha,
    I am so sorry to read too late that it was Orchid's birthday! Congtatulations to her and to you!!! Give her a big hug!!
    And it is true what you wrote about seeing your own mother in another way the day you become a mother yourself! I have the same experience!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete