Monday, January 18, 2010

Pizza Pizza!!!!

Have you ever noticed how the most noble ingredients in cooking seem to combine best with the most pedestrian of all food.  For example: Caviar and scrambled eggs, or, caviar and potato pancakes and similarly, shaved truffles on baguette with butter (my personal favorite) and as I had it on saturday evening, truffle pizza.  I want to say, you have not lived, until you have had a truffle pizza.
On Saturday night, Matt and I were invited to our good friend Forest's home for truffle pizza and some other yummy delights such as chicken tangine, however, nothing would compare to Forest's homemade truffle pizza. I want to point out, though, that secret of this delight lies in the very essence of the ingredients.  First, Forrest made his pizza dough from scratch, second, I contributed my fresh rock size truffle for the shavings as well as really high quality truffle oil,  and finally, it takes at least 3 kinds of cheeses to create the right stringiness (fontina, parmesan, and mozzarella) that make this a die and go to heaven journey. In this case the pizza also included some beautifully sauteed mushrooms which only added to the amazing flavor of the truffle pizza.


Truffle pizza

Upon interviewing Forest as to how to make the pizza, I was astonished to learn, that is really pretty easy contrary to my previous belief.  Here's what I did after consuming such heavenly delight.  I went straight home, ordered my pizza stone, cutter, and my pizza peel from Sur La Table and downloaded Forest's recipe for pizza dough from the Frugal Gourmet (which I am including below):


Homemade pizza has some great applications, as the options for toppings are limitless and can be very unique and suit the tastes and flavors of the person making it.  It is not to be compared with any pizza that you might order from some cheap fast food chain (which everyone knows, I despise).  Also, if you have kids, it is a great way to get them involved in making their own food with toppings that mom might approve of, which in turn inspires them to eat their own little creations.

So I hope some you will incorporate a home made pizza into your repertoire of cooking and throw away your fast food pizza delivery's phone number.  Here's to great pizza,  and here's to living the good life.





No comments:

Post a Comment