Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Outside the comfort zone!!!!!!!!!



Anyone that knows me will happily acknowledge that I don't like hiking, and even the smallest attempts are without a doubt outside of my comfort zone.  After all, I am for sure a creature of comfort and was naturally,  born in the chinese sign of the pig.  However, I don't like to be a killjoy and so I let myself be convinced today, to do some hiking to follow along the two powder hounds (Forest and my dear husband), whom I was skiing with today.

Here is a small sampling of thoughts that went through my head as I ventured outside my oh so comfortable space:  Why did I agree to this craziness, I should have eaten only half the chili verde at lunch, the polyester of all my ski layers is starting to itch, I should definetly not have had the cigarette after lunch, I must have a cigarette after I accomplish this task and finally, there are really some beautiful spots to see if you are willing to hike the distance outside of the comfort zone.

Finally we arrived at the peak of "Ontario Bowl", only for me to discover that the challenging part was not the hike, but rather the descent of this already far too cumbersome journey.  Halfway down the steep incline, Forest,  my dear friend and ski guide of today, had the brilliant idea, that this is worthy of a post on my blog and I could not agree more.  After all, what's worth doing is worth documenting.


Looking down!!!!!


Looking uphill!!!!




my powder hound husband




powder hound Forest

In all fairness to my two companions, I will admit, that the experience was a fabulous one, to the point where I forgot that my polyester was itching.  All I kept thinking was, how beautiful it was to be challenged to ride through the trees in knee deep powder.  In closing, I was tremendously proud as looked up the steep incline that I had just descended from.  It made me think of the following quote:

All growth happens outside our comfort zone into the unknown. Everything we know now used to be unknown to us. Every time we fear the unknown just remember that the unknown is just another aspect of us which we haven't met.
unknown : Gaia Explorer
Source: Jim Paredes


I even think I might do some more hiking in the future.  Who knows, Mount Everest is looking like a possibility, just kidding.

Forest and I





Looking up



Looking down




At the bottom looking all the way up!!!!!

Here's to being outside the comfort zone and here's to living the good life......








No comments:

Post a Comment