Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mountain Style



My dear mother would tell you that as a designer I have dabbled in every design style known to mankind.  In the early nineties it was shabby chic, then it was opulent french, then it was David Hicks style mid-century, and after that,  Hollywood regency. After this era, circa early 2000, I feel I started developing my essence and really got into danish and european mid-century, mixed with some traditional pieces.  I should thank all the high ranking shelter magazines at this moment for featuring my designs throughout my career, and indulging my creative viewpoints as they were, at each moment. I have to always laugh about my mom asking me how many changes a person possible can go through, and she might be right given the fact that she is a beige on beige true minimalist.  I am not joking if I tell you that she still owns the same sofa's from 20 years ago, and she has owned certain pieces of furniture for so long, that they are now considered collectors items by authorities such as "first dibs".

No matter what, my mom has kindly taken on the role of design editor, for as long as I can remember. When we would shop together, she would kindly help me refine my choices, the sequence of events always running the same course: I spot the item that I cannot live without, and she would at that point question me with: What is the application of such a piece? This would usually end up in a response such as:  I am not sure but I have to have it and I will find an application. Needless to say, my storage facility is ever expanding much to the dismay of my husband who is getting the bills for such storage.  However, one day I will have the most fabulous store with all my beautiful finds, that had no application over the years.

Contrary to my mom's concern about all my changes, I do feel that I have evolved as a designer through experimenting in the various phases and that all my dabbles have lead me to an understanding of what is my true aeesthatic.  Certain things were passing fads, never to be used again, and others are mainstays of my work, that I believe to be evident no matter what project I take on.  So I leave you with my take on "mountain style" which are some quick snapshots of our living room and dining room here in Deer Valley.  











I would like to dedicate this post to my mom.  God knows, it takes a lot of love and patience to witness all those changes, and she certainly has done so by always standing by me and supporting me even when she silently questioned some of my crazy choices.

My mom and I in an "editing moment"

Mutsch, here is to you and here is to living the good life.....

1 comment:

  1. I love the pictures of your living room and I love your style Natasha! That leather chair is fantastic isn't it!
    I am glad to see a picture of your lovely mom!
    Have a nice weekend!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete