Saturday, January 9, 2010

Helmet Law


Orchid and Matt with helmets

For all my fellow skier blog friends, here is a topic I feel very strongly about.  Last year at about this time, the moment had come, that after 35 years of skiing, I decided to wear a ski helmet.  Until then, I was your fashionable ski bunny who would zip about the mountain with my cute hats , goggles or sunglasses.  Two incidents led to this monumental and crucial decision.  First, the unfortunate death of Natasha Richardson occurred, and second, my daughter Orchid who was four at the time, posed the very simple but reasonable question as to why she needed to wear a helmet if I,  her mommy did not. Upon very serious consideration of her question, I decided that there was really no good reason, why I should not.  I decided at that very moment to wear a helmet when skiing and went out to buy such a safety device.


Me with ski helmet

To all you ski junkies out there, who are still not wearing a helmet, I would like to address the two major reasons as to why you are still not wearing helmets.  How you might think could I possibly know the reasons why you are not wearing a helmet?  Simple, I was you until last year.  The first reason is, that you helmet less skiers out there think foolishly, that you are an advanced skier, and therefore do not need a helmet because the likelihood of you falling is slim to none.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  Even if you might not fall on your own accord, someone else less ski experienced could ski into you when you least expect it, causing you to fall and get hurt.
Second, unlike some years ago, it is no longer cool nor fashionable to not wear a helmet.  Just like bellbottoms, and shoulder pads had their moment in fashion, so did the helmet less skier.  Folks, if anyone is confused about this, let me state it very clearly, that moment is so over.  In fact cool ski fashions now include helmet styles and trends just like any other fashion fad.  Please go out right now and buy a ski helmet and know in your mind that your cool factor and fashion image will not be compromised, if you do this.
Especially if you have children, you owe it to them to set a good example and I am sure I don't need to tell you the old saying:  "Do as I say, not as I do", will not save the lives of your kids. On this final note, I would like to address all the Deer Valley Ski instructors out there: I know there is no requirement for you to wear helmets and I am glad to see that most of you do, but there are some of you, that don't wear one and I am appalled.  As instructors, you need to set the example and again, there is no good and valid reason for anyone to not wear a helmet at this point.
I am posting a link to an excellent website where you can get comprehensive info on buying a helmet as well as useful information concerning all things helmet.  Incidentally the tag line reads: No more excuses.


This blog is about the good life and no good life can be had without some safety precautions.
Here's to living the good life.....

2 comments:

  1. Natasha,
    I am glad that you decided to wear a helm! Very reasonable!
    Jan was so excited to see the pictures of you last post!
    He would take the plane to company you and Matt for skiing!!
    xx
    Greet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natasha -

    Kudos for wearing a ski helmet! Thanks so much for the link and kind words, we greatly appreciate it!

    Matt and the rest of the team
    SkiHelmets.com

    ReplyDelete